Sunday, April 29, 2018

Windows Mixed Reality!!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-mixed-reality

For this week, I was looking around for something to blog about. I have been looking into how AR and VR can be used in the library setting. This, of course, is in the academic side of things as I am not a gamer and use AR/VR tools much. I must admit that I was not a fan on the VR goggles that I have because of the comfort and the adjustments needed to address my vision (my glasses).

When I looked into AR in the past, I was blown away to learn just how much we encounter elements on a daily basis and is a part of our lives completely. What was the most important aspect to learn about is with sporting events. I admit that I did not realize how much sports viewers depend on the AR features in sports, especially in football. Funny little story to share... I went to my first NFLgame in 2006 and when I did, I was looking for the yellow "first down" line when I was at the game. I was disappointed to learn that the lines were on tv only...

VR/AR has been advancing more and more over the last 5 years. With the PlayStation VR, as well as more comfortable VR units available, VR can be enjoyed more by different users of a variety of interest. I came across the Microsoft Mixed Reality site recently and looked into the technology that Microsoft is offering to it's users. While reviewing the site, I was reminded of the book turned movie, Ready Player One" and the experiences that the characters had while in the oasis. The trend with VR seems to be moving towards this path and I find it exciting. I find it exciting that with all the technology that is available in the book Ready Player One, there are still libraries, and places where users need to gather information to enhance their experience. This is the feel I have when looking into the Mixed Reality software.
The gear is costly, but updated to be more functional and accessible for the users. Also, the users needs only a computer (that is compatible with the software) for the software to work. It is understandable that many may not like the almost $400 print point for the gear and the fact that the computers require a i7 processor (the higher priced of the processors), yet they are quality and top o the line for the best experience. Schools have the opportunity to write grants for the materials so they are able to invest in the materials needed for the Mixed Reality.

1 comment: